Sunday, October 4, 2009

The cry of a little Catholic girl

As a child I was raised Catholic. I remember at a time when I was about in the third grade that I had such a desire to be closer to God. I was not sure how to because we were always told we didn't need to read the bible because it would confuse us. I remember as a young girl of 8 or 9 as being enthralled by the life of Mother Teresa. Though I didn't understand all that her life represented, I knew I wanted that closeness to God that she had. Many times as a young girl, tears would stream down my face, and I would not know why I was crying. I think God was preparing me for something in my future that I might not even know about now at this time. I remember praying and asking God to show me how I could find a way to get close to him. Today the sermon was about "angelic visitations". I remember every time I would go to the library I would get books at my reading level and read up on her. I asked God to put someone in my path that I could help and it would be a gift to Him. When I went to school, private schools had no bus transportation to and from school, so I would walk a mile to school, home for lunch and back again, then back home at the end of the day. I remember this one day I saw an old lady walking down the street, (well, old to a little 8 yr olds eyes). She was waiting to cross the road, and I remember going up to her and asking if I could help her across. She probably wasn't as old as I remember in my mind. I took her hand and helped her across the road, which in reality, she probably thought she was helping me. After we crossed the road, I remember feeling such an inner peace, and I was so thankful that I was able to do something for God that the song "Jesus loves me" started to burst in my heart. I turned around to go into the school and I looked around just seconds after we got across, and the woman was gone. Through the years I have thought of that situation many times, and often wonderend if she was an angel of the Lord, there to entice the heart of a little girl to go on with God. I guess I will never know, but the sermon today made me dwell on this thought all day. As they say on "angels in the outfield" "IT COULD HAPPEN"

No comments:

Post a Comment